Sweet and spicy sausages are mixed in our Classic Red Tomato Sauce to make an irresistible meat sauce for this rigatoni. Hearty and filling, this recipe is sure to become a fast favorite.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon butter
- ½ large onion finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 sausages removed from their casing (a mixture of half sweet and half hot works nicely)
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 jar Classic Red Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb. rigatoni
- ¼ cup of heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Basil leaves for garnish
- In a heavy cast iron Dutch oven on medium heat, add the olive oil and butter and sweat the onions and rosemary until translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add the sausages and mix well with the onions. Use a wooden spatula to break up the sausage meat.
- Cook until the sausages are no longer raw – about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for another 5 minutes until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Add the Classic Red Tomato Sauce and reduce to a simmer and let it bubble slowly away for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Fill a large pot with water and salt generously.
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package and then drain.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce and then add the cream and cheese and stir well over low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.