This is one of the easiest and most delicious quick dinners that is also a seriously impressive dish for guests. Using our Classic Red Tomato Sauce makes the cooking that much more of a cinch while adding real depth of flavor.
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 small white onion, diced small
4-5 large cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
1 cup good white wine
1 jar ofClassic Red Tomato Sauce
1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano leaves
1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley leaves
4 lbs. fresh mussels, debearded, scrubbed and rinsed
Crusty bread for serving
1. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan (large enough to hold the mussels) over medium heat. Add the onion and sweat for few minutes until translucent (5-7 minutes). Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute or two more, but do not allow to brown. Season generously with salt and pepper
2. Add the wine and reduce roughly by half. Add the jar of Classic Red Tomato Sauce, along with the chopped oregano and most of the parsley.
3. Add the mussels to the pan. Cover the pan and allow mussels to cook for 10 minutes(discard any mussels that are not open).
4. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper and then transfer mussels and sauce to a large bowl or deep platter.
5. Sprinkle remaining parsley and chopped basil leaves on top to the mussels.
6. Serve with crusty bread for sopping up the delicious sauce.