Rigatoni with Classic Red Sausage Sauce
Sweet and spicy sausages are mixed in our Classic Red Tomato Sauce to make an irresistible meat sauce for this rigatoni. Hearty and filling, this recipe is sure to become a fast favorite.
1 tablespoons olive oil
½ tablespoon butter
½ large onion finely chopped
½ tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
4 sausages removed from their casing (a mixture of half sweet and half hot works nicely)
½ cup red wine
1 jar Classic Red Tomato Sauce
1 lb. rigatoni
¼ cup of heavy cream
¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Basil leaves for garnish
1. In a heavy cast iron Dutch oven on medium heat, add the olive oil and butter and sweat the onions and rosemary until translucent (about 10 minutes).
2. Add the sausages and mix well with the onions. Use a wooden spatula to break up the sausage meat.
3. Cook until the sausages are no longer raw – about 5 minutes.
4. Add the wine and cook for another 5 minutes until most of the wine has evaporated.
5. Add the Classic Red Tomato Sauce and reduce to a simmer and let it bubble slowly away for a minimum of 3 hours.
6. Fill a large pot with water and salt generously.
7. Cook pasta according to the directions on the package and then drain.
8. Add the drained pasta to the sauce and then add the cream and cheese and stir well over low heat for a couple of minutes.
9. Serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.