Incredibly simple, but also incredibly impressive to your guests, this is the perfect dish for a dinner party. Using Jar Goods Classic Spicy tomato sauce makes this dish even simpler while adding just the perfect amount of kick.
2 ¼ extra virgin olive oil
3 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise into ½ inch slices
1 cup fresh ricotta
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided into ½ cup portions
1 large egg
2 scallions, julienned or thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
2 cups Jar Goods Classic Spicy Tomato Sauce
¼ cup chopped parsley leaves
1. Heat 2 cups of the olive oil over medium heat in a 10-12” frying or sauté pan. When the oil starts to shimmer add the eggplant slices without crowding the pan (3-4 slices at a time.) Fry the eggplant on both sides until soft and a light golden brown
2. Preheat oven to 400F.
3. Combine ricotta, ½ cup mozzarella, egg, scallions and nutmeg in a bowl and mix well. Season liberally with salt and pepper
4. Lay eggplant slices on a work surface and place a small tablespoon sizes mound of the ricotta filling at the base of each eggplant slice. Roll the eggplant around the filling and set seam-side down on the work surface.
5. Butter a baking dish large enough to hold your eggplant rolls.
6. Pour the Classic Spicy into the dish and nestle the rolls seam-side down in the sauce.
7. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup portion of mozzarella on top of the eggplant rolls.
8. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt out of the sides of the rolls. Drizzle with the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.