Meatballs and Rainbow Chard with Classic Red Tomato Sauce
These meatballs are incredibly tender and make the perfect weekday meal with the addition of fresh rainbow chard. Jar Goods Classic Red Tomato Sauce brings the entire dish together in a burst of delicious flavor.
1/3 cup of milk
1 slice of good white bread with the crusts cut off (Italian Round Bread is a good variety)
1/3 lb ground pork
1/3 lb ground beef
1/3 lb ground veal
1 tablespoon finely minced onion
1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
1 pinch of nutmeg
3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 jar of Classic Red Tomato Sauce
2 cups cleaned and chopped rainbow chard
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
2. Soak the bread in the milk for a few minutes and then mash together with a fork until it’s all blended.
3. In a mixing bowl, add the meat, onion, parsley, nutmeg, Parmesan and the bread mixture.
4. Add in 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
5. Mix everything together well with your hands and begin to roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
6. Line them up on a baking sheet and then bake them for about 15 minutes or until nicely browned.
7. In a large frying pan, sauté chard with remaining olive oil until tender (about 6-8 minutes) then remove. Season the chard with salt and pepper.
8. In the same pan, heat the Classic Red Tomato Sauce and when the sauce starts to bubble, add the meatballs and chard back. Serve warm.